Saturday, February 11, 2012

Lady Gaga in China: Same Song, Different Context

When I first saw this, I found myself wishing I had some Mandarin language skills. I came across this video and couldn't look away. What's the context of this staging of Lady Gaga's song Bad Romance? I really want to know! Can anyone out there translate some of the text?

I've scrolled through some of the comments on YouTube. As usual, there was a variety of scary ignorant comments. There were also a few clues. Apparently it appeared on a very popular show in China and is in the Changsha dialect. Gaga, in that dialect, means grandmother. Some of the comments suggest it is a local variety show (big production for a local variety show, eh?). The band playing in the beginning is the Crystal Band. That's about all I know for sure. The rest is left to my imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment