Monday, January 16, 2012

Don't Let Anybody Make You a Nobody: In Honor of MLK

What a treat I just discovered. I hope you all take the time to listen to this speech. It is especially nice to listen to it after my previous blog post Shit Homophobic People Say. Which one calls you to be a bigger person? Which one inspires you to be more?

An art teacher in Cleveland, Jayne Sylvester, discovered some dusty old tapes hidden away is a pile discarded junk in a high school library. What did she discover? A little known speech that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. delivered on April 26, 1967.

What a great find. If you listen to it--and I hope you do--I hope you share your thoughts as you reflect on Dr King's message.

"I would like to suggest some of the things you must do, and some of the things all of us must  do, in order to be truely free. now the first thing we must do is to develop within ourselves a deep sense of somebody-ness. Don't let anybody make you feel you are nobody."




No comments:

Post a Comment