Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Pause of Thought

A commentator on Twitter viewed the clip "Journey Into Self" and shared that the clip reminded her of this poem. I liked it so much I thought I'd share it.


A Pause of Thought



 I looked for that which is not, nor can be,
And hope deferred made my heart sick in truth:
But years must pass before a hope of youth
Is resigned utterly.

I watched and waited with a steadfast will:
And though the object seemed to flee away
That I so longed for, ever day by day
I watched and waited still.

Sometimes I said: This thing shall be no more;
My expectation wearies and shall cease;
I will resign it now and be at peace:
Yet never gave it o'er.

Sometimes I said: It is an empty name
I long for; to a name why should I give
The peace of all the days I have to live?—
Yet gave it all the same.

Alas, thou foolish one! alike unfit
For healthy joy and salutary pain:
Thou knowest the chase useless, and again
Turnest to follow it.


Christina Georgina Rossetti 

No comments:

Post a Comment